WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
By posting or commenting on any social media platform used by the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE, you participate by your own choice, taking personal responsibility for your comments, your username and any information you provide therein.
The WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE maintains a social media program for the purpose of engaging and interacting with our community, providing relevant and timely community news, information and events, distribution of crime prevention and public safety tips, for urgent notifications of critical incidents which may affect residents, business owners and visitors of WHITE County and of the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE, and for those people having an interest in the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE .
Limited Public Forum
The definition of content as used in this policy refers to any written copy, photos, graphics, videos, live-video streams, comments, or any form of communicative content exchanged between parties.
Emergency or Non-Emergency Requests for Law Enforcement Assistance
The posting of requests for law enforcement assistance, regardless if it is of an emergency or non-emergency nature, is discouraged and will not guarantee a response by the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE or any emergency service provider. In case of an emergency, or if police assistance is needed, please dial 911. If you wish to report a crime or information relevant to a crime, please call 706-865-0911. You may remain anonymous if you wish.
In the event you post information related to a crime, you may be placing yourself in a position of becoming a witness and subject to being subpoenaed into court. Endorsements
"Friending" or "Liking" the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE, or an officer or
employee of the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE , does not indicate an endorsement of that person's actions or comments. A comment posted by a member of the public on any WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE social media site is the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE.
Moderation of Content
The WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE 's social media platforms are intended to be "family friendly." When applicable, the department uses platform provided content moderation/filtering options to limit foul or obscene content. The WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE does actively monitor the social media platforms used by the department, and will remove inappropriate content as defined below, without prior notice, and as soon as possible. The department shall reserve the right to remove and/or block anyone who posts inappropriate material as determined by the department. This material may include, but is not limited to:
- Comments not related to the original topic, including random or unintelligible comments;
- Profane, obscene, or pornographic content and/or language;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, or national origin;
- Defamatory or personal attacks;
- Threats to any person or organization;
- Comments in support of, or in opposition to, any political campaigns or ballot measures;
- Solicitation of commerce, including but not limited to advertising of any business or product for sale;
- Conduct in violation of any federal, state or local law;
- Encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest, such as a copyright, of any party;
- Harassment or content which constitutes and/or facilitates stalking;
- Content which violates the right to privacy;
- Encouragement of violence;
- Repetitive content;
- Comments which may reasonably interfere with, inhibit, or compromise law enforcement investigations, police tactics, police responses to incidents and/or the safety of police staff and officers.
- Posts or comments that contain any external links.
The department does not allow posting of photos or videos by anyone other than members of the department.
Denial of Access
If you wish to contest the removal or hiding of your content, or your denial of access ("banned") from our social media platforms, you may do so by contacting us at 706-865-5177 and requesting to speak to a member of our social media team.
Facebook's Community of Standards
All comments posted to any WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE Facebook site are bound by Facebook's Community Standards, located at http://www.facebook.com/communitystandards, and the WHITE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE reserves the right to report any violation of Facebook's Community Standards to Facebook with the intent of Facebook taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.